Website Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Solutions for the Built World
Wiss, Janney, Elstner and Associates, Inc. (WJE) is looking for a Building Enclosure Consultant with 10+ years of experience for the San Antonio, Texas branch. If you’re an architect or project manager and are looking to dig into your technical skills, this is a great opportunity to specialize in new and existing building enclosures, roofing, waterproofing systems, or any combination thereof and join a team with the resources and technology to support you.
With an in-depth knowledge of the design, construction, investigation, and repair of these systems, you will direct and maintain your own projects, mentor up-and-coming staff, and foster client relationships, all while still getting to do the hands-on technical work you are passionate about.
At WJE, you will work in a collaborative environment, supported by the company’s collective technical knowledge, our state-of-the-art laboratory and testing capabilities, and a team of enthusiastic professionals striving to deliver innovative yet practical solutions in the built world.
San Antonio is the 15th oldest and one of the largest and fastest-growing cities in the U.S., bringing plenty of opportunity to investigate its historic Spanish-, Mexican-, and French-influenced architecture. The San Antonio WJE office is situated just south of downtown in convenient proximity to many of our prominent clients and projects. Located in a deliciously renovated historic office building which it shares with the local AIA, it is 5 minutes from most major highways and 15 minutes from the airport. This active area, known locally as Southtown, is a trending neighborhood resplendent with shops, art galleries, restaurants and cafes, and easy access to the river, yet housing remains highly affordable. The city enjoys access to biking, hiking, watercrafts, and nightlife along the many linear parks that thread their way along its rivers. A rich and diverse cultural presence means a constant supply of a variety of festivals, parades, and celebrations year-round.
From the beaches of the Gulf Coast to the vineyards of the Hill Country, San Antonio is uniquely situated just a few hours’ drive from a surprising variety of Texas climates and outdoor opportunities, and many professionals are migrating here in order to take advantage of a lifestyle where you can have it all.
WJE was founded in Northbrook, Illinois in 1956 and the San Antonio office was opened in 2006. We have 9 local staff, 84 in Texas, and almost 700 internationally. We are an employee-owned company that employs extraordinary people at all levels of our organization — people with outstanding character, a lifelong-learner mindset, a strong desire to be innovative and excel, and a willingness to work as part of a team. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, and our culture is one of trust and personal responsibility, where every position is important, and every individual is expected and supported to thrive in their career.
· Project management, including developing project scope, assembling and managing appropriate project teams, maintaining project schedules and budgets, and managing client expectations and deliverables
· Preparation of project deliverables, including but not limited to: proposals, analysis results, repair alternates, construction drawings, specifications, and technical reports
· On-site investigation, condition assessments, and construction observations, which may include surveying, documenting distress, performance evaluation and field testing, collecting data and samples, and preparing site visit reports
· Contributions to company-wide objectives through mentoring, participation in office and company development initiatives, participation with in-house Technical Resource Groups (TRGs), involvement in professional organizations, and business development to attract new and repeat clients
· Licensed Architect or Professional Engineer in the State of Texas or ability to obtain by comity
· Bachelor of Architecture degree or Master’s degree in Architecture, Architectural Engineering, or related field (Additional relevant experience will be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.)
· Ten plus years in the industry, including significant technical experience in architectural detailing of building enclosure, roofing, and waterproofing components and assemblies, particularly the interface of different assemblies or components
· Familiarity with some or all of the following materials and systems: glazing systems, insulation and air barriers, cladding assemblies, low- and steep-slope roofing, below-grade and plaza/terrace waterproofing, traffic coatings, and green roofs
· Effective technical, graphical, written, and verbal communication skills
· Demonstrated competence in transitioning quickly between multiple priorities while maintaining effective coworker and client relationships
Learn more about Building Enclosure work at WJE
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
· Ability to attend meetings at various office, field, and construction sites
· Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
· Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
· Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
· Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials, and computer screens
· Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
· Ability to travel
· Ability to safely work at heights
· Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts, and other access equipment (with training)
· Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction site hazards
· Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
· Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
· Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.
To apply for this job email your details to EMurray@wje.com