Website Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Solutions for the Built World
Wiss, Janney, Elstner and Associates, Inc. (WJE) is looking for a Building Enclosure Associate with 3-5 years of experience for the San Antonio, Texas branch. If you’re looking for a company to appreciate your contributions, encourage you to get your hands dirty, and support you in your development, WJE’s culture would be perfect for you.
A career at WJE will give you the opportunity to learn from and grow alongside industry-leading experts and thought leaders as you continue to develop your technical expertise, your hands-on capabilities, and your project management skills, primed to make a meaningful impact in your field.
At WJE, we spend almost as much time in the field, up close and personal with our projects, as we do in the office. As a Building Enclosure Associate, you will apply theoretical knowledge to practical applications for a variety of construction types, both modern and historic.
San Antonio is the 15th oldest and one of the largest and fastest-growing cities in the U.S., bringing plenty of opportunity to investigate its historic Spanish-, Mexican-, and French-influenced architecture. The San Antonio WJE office is situated just south of downtown in convenient proximity to many of our prominent clients and projects. Located in a deliciously renovated historic office building which it shares with the local AIA, it is 5 minutes from most major highways and 15 minutes from the airport. This active area, known locally as Southtown, is a trending neighborhood resplendent with shops, art galleries, restaurants and cafes, and easy access to the river, yet housing remains highly affordable. The city enjoys access to biking, hiking, watercrafts, and nightlife along the many linear parks that thread their way along its rivers. A rich and diverse cultural presence means a constant supply of a variety of festivals, parades, and celebrations year-round.
From the beaches of the Gulf Coast to the vineyards of the Hill Country, San Antonio is uniquely situated just a few hours’ drive from a surprising variety of Texas climates and outdoor opportunities, and many professionals are migrating here in order to take advantage of a lifestyle where you can have it all.
WJE was founded in Northbrook, Illinois in 1956 and the San Antonio office was opened in 2006. We have 9 local staff, 84 in Texas, and almost 700 internationally. We are an employee-owned company that employs extraordinary people at all levels of our organization — people with outstanding character, a lifelong-learner mindset, a strong desire to be innovative and excel, and a willingness to work as part of a team. We offer competitive compensation and benefits, and our culture is one of trust and personal responsibility, where every position is important, and every individual is expected and supported to thrive in their career.
· Assume responsibility for key aspects of projects and complete assignments with limited oversight, under the guidance of licensed professionals
· Perform hands-on forensic investigations, condition assessments, and construction observations, which may include surveying, documenting distress, field testing, collecting data and samples, and preparing site visit reports
· Analyze field data and perform research and review of modern and historic construction documents, governing codes, and design guidelines to facilitate analysis, problem solving, and repair design
· Assist with drafting and preparation of conceptual, preliminary, and final client deliverables, including various construction documents, specifications, and written reports
· Interface with project teams, clients, contractors, and other engineering disciplines
· Bachelor’s degree or better in architecture, architectural engineering, building science, civil engineering or related field, from an accredited program
· Three to five years of relevant building enclosure experience
· Solid foundation in architectural engineering principles with demonstrated interest in the design, construction, and repair of building enclosures; principles of heat, air, and moisture control within enclosure materials and assemblies; evaluation of building performance; and/or preservation and rehabilitation of historic structures
· Effective technical, graphical, written, and verbal communication skills
· Demonstrated enthusiasm and curiosity for solving problems and understanding how things work
· Proactive, team player mindset with willingness to take on various responsibilities
· Ability to prioritize tasks and adapt to changing demands, while maintaining a high standard of excellence, integrity, and attention to detail
Learn more about Building Enclosure work at WJE
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computer, printer, fax, copier, telephone, voice mail system, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
· Ability to attend meetings at the various office, field, and construction sites
· Ability to perform inspections of buildings and other structures, both visually and with instruments
· Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
· Ability to perform work in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
· Ability to read construction drawings, diagrams, printed materials, and computer screens
· Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
· Ability to travel
· Ability to safely work at heights
· Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts and other access equipment
· Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
· Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
· Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
· Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle
WJE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite all qualified applicants to apply including individuals with disabilities, minorities, women, and protected veterans (VEVRAA federal contractor).
WJE will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Fair Chance Ordinances.
To apply for this job email your details to EMurray@wje.com