Best Block 4×4 CEs
May 13th | 9:00 – 10:00 AM
Frugal Design with Concrete Masonry: Optimizing Performance on a Tight Budget (1LU/HSW?)
In this course, attendees will learn how to design walls that optimize performance for project requirements in a cost-efficient way. The course discusses initial cost and operating cost implications of exterior wall system choices. The course also discusses options to provide interior walls that save money and provide exceptional performance for demanding interior environments.
May 18th | Noon – 1 PM
Next Generation of CMU (1 LU/HSW)
Beginning with the adoption of the 2015 International Building Code, substantial changes to the TMS 402 / 602 Masonry Building Code Requirements & Specification were adopted. This program reviews these substantial changes:
- Become familiar with the new ASTM C90 and next generation CMU designs.
- Understand how next generation CMU designs can improve system performance.
- Understand how next generation CMU designs can meet today’s Energy Codes and Standards, provide greater sustainability features for the building envelope design while decreasing the cost of the wall assembly.
- Learn how next generation CMU designs comply with Fire Safety, Structural and Acoustical design requirements
May 19th | 9:00 – 10:00 AM
Designing Multi-Wythe Concrete Masonry Walls (1LU/HSW)
This course discusses the keys to designing Multi-wythe (Cavity Wall)
assemblies using Concrete Masonry, with a focus on moisture control, energy conservation, structural performance and aesthetic options.
May 20th | Noon – 1 PM
Managing Moisture in Masonry Walls (1 LU/HSW)
When a masonry wall is chosen for the exterior envelope, what process is necessary to ensure that moisture is managed. This course will address:
- Effects of Moisture
- Performance considerations for different types of walls
- The role integral water repellents and other responsibilities of the CMU producer.
- The design team’s role includes proper detailing and focuses on flashing and weep systems.
- Workmanship plays a vital role in weather tight walls. Learn what elements are key to any masonry wall system to manage moisture.